Mississippi is working toward a comprehensive plan that will lead us back to a path of normalcy by re-opening our state’s economy in a smart and safe way, while protecting the health of our citizens. The following is an outline of continued recommendations and newly amended measures effective at 8:00 a.m. Thursday, May 7, 2020, per Governor Tate Reeves’ Executive Order No. 1478.
The City of Brookhaven will make copies of the Order available in the City Clerk’s office to anyone who requests a copy for their own review. Click here to view details.
1. Outdoor and in-room dining at restaurants are allowed using strict social distancing guidelines. Each restaurant must adhere to a maximum seating capacity of 50%, CDC and MSDH recommendations, and precautionary health and safety measures.
2. Bars or bar areas that do not offer food services shall remain closed.
3. Every restaurant/bar employee who comes into direct contact with customers is required to wear a mask.
4. Group gatherings/activities shall be limited to a maximum of 10 participants indoor and 20 outdoor, while maintaining social distancing of a minimum of six feet between individuals.
5. Outdoor recreational activities are permitted between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m. with gatherings of 20 or less (including participants, coaches, lifeguards, parents and guests). During activities, parents/guests should observe from their vehicles and practice social distancing, so to not be counted as part of the 20 allowable participants.
6. The walking trail and tennis courts at City Park and the City Pond will be open from 9:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m.; however, all playground equipment, restrooms, spray parks, basketball courts, the walking trail at Bi-Centennial Park and the Jimmy Furlow Senior Center will remain closed until further notice. Please use social distancing while walking, playing tennis, and fishing.
7. Brookhaven Recreational Department team practices (i.e., basketball, t-ball, and softball) and BRD instructor lead classes (i.e. cheer, dance, ballet, gymnastics and art) will open in accordance with all recommendations and guidelines.
8. State parks may open to the public between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m.
9. Businesses such as movie theaters, casinos, clubs, gyms, spas, salons, barber shops, etc. may not sell/provide services to customers.
10. A shelter-in-place option for our most vulnerable residents is strongly encouraged to help ensure their health and safety.
11. Pastors are asked to voluntarily forego in-house church services and choirs, and instead choose to present services through various online and social media outlets.
12. Stay safe by continuing to wear masks to protect yourself and others.
13. Stay home when possible, except for necessary travel.
14. Stay smart with social distancing, hand washing, the use of hand sanitizer and daily hygiene.
The safety of area residents remains our top priority. Thank you for your continued diligence in combating COVID-19. Stay strong and stay informed. We will get through this together.
Joe C. Cox
Mayor, City of Brookhaven